If you’ve been hurt in an accident, a personal injury attorney can help make the process of pursuing your claim and obtaining compensation easier. But what steps do they take to achieve this result? The lawyers at Carter Law Office in Hartwell, GA offer the following advice:

While personal injury cases often settle out of court, a personal injury attorney will represent you in court if necessary. However, much of what your lawyer will do for you revolves around negotiating a settlement with the other party’s insurance provider.

Your lawyer will obtain or gather evidence to verify the facts of the incident and establish fault. This evidence may include photos, official reports, and witness statements. Once your condition has stabilized or you’ve been released by your doctor, your lawyer will gather medical reports, records, bills, and employment reports to determine the damages owed to you. This information takes time to gather since your lawyer is relying on other parties that may have long and involved processes for releasing these records.

Once the amount of damages has been determined, your attorney will send a request for compensation to the insurance company of the other party that’s involved. Once the insurance company sends back an offer, your lawyer will review it with you and help you decide what to do next. In cases where the insurance company doesn’t offer a fair settlement, your attorney will help you file a lawsuit.

If a lawsuit is filed, your attorney will coordinate with the other parties and the courts. They’ll guide you through the process until either a settlement is reached or the suit goes to trial.

Each of these steps can take quite a bit of time. That’s why it’s so important to choose an attorney you trust to handle your case. If you’re looking for lawyers in Hartwell, GA to help with your personal injury case, call Carter Law Offices. Stephen C. Carter has been practicing law for more than 30 years. He has ability to get you the maximum compensation possible. Contact us today to schedule a consultation about your case.