The actions of a drunk driver can forever change the life of an innocent person. Being the victim of a DUI accident is an absolute nightmare. The team at Carter Law Offices understands how scared and upset you’re feeling. Our personal injury attorney for Athens, GA, Stephen C. Carter, wants to help you through this difficult time. Here are five steps you can take if you’ve been hurt by a drunk driver:
- Seek medical attention – First, get medical attention. While this is primarily to assess the level of your injuries, it also provides medical documentation that you’ll need for your personal injury case. Medical professionals will document your injuries, whether they present themselves immediately or if they show up later.
- Create a support system – Beyond your physical injuries, DUI accidents take a toll on your mental and emotional health. Reach out to family, friends, your pastor, or a counselor. You’ll want to have a strong support system to help you through this difficult time.
- Reach out to victims’ assistance – Your local law enforcement agency should have a victims’ assistance department. They can serve as an additional source of support and may ask you to file a victims’ impact statement.
- Speak to a personal injury attorney – Contact a personal injury attorney as soon as your able to do so. Explain everything that happened and how this incident has impacted you both physically and mentally. Bring any medical documentation of your injuries that’s in your possession. If you have a police report or other documents, bring those, too.
- Attend the court proceedings – Once your drunk driving case begins, make sure you’re present for any court proceedings that take place. While this will be difficult, it’s necessary to be seen and heard by the judge, jury, defendant, and opposing counsel.
At Carter Law Offices, provide compassionate legal representation for people who’ve been hurt by drunk drivers. Personal injury attorney Stephen C. Carter is ready to help you. Call today if you need a personal injury and DUI attorney in Athens, GA and Hartwell, GA.